control_file_record_keep_time --- confusing and messed up with my RMAN backups in standby server

From: Balakrishna Y <krishna000_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:13:10 +0100

Hi All,

Here is my live scenario .

There is one database(10.2.0.4 Version) created with DR in place on windows server sometime 8 months ago and it switched some 4000 odd logs , unfortunately all the archive log files are avaiable on the path and we didn't notice this database at all to our knowledge .

One day we got a mail from business asking to check the backups of the server and we were
schoked that the backup's are not configured at all and its a production DB very much .

Finally i configured RMAN backup so the problem here i've encountered is

I've configured according to our policies which is 28 days retention and the backup's needs to be configured on standby server only . After everything i've took a first cold backup with archivelog all delete input . It errored in between

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel ORA-19571: archived-log recid 3257 stamp 650396427 not found in control file

I found one note in metalink ( RMAN Backup Fails With ORA-19571 [ID 563219.1] ) and control_file_record_keep_time was set to 7 days by default by looking at the note and i've increased the above paramter to 30 and did a catalog start with 'archive log path' did a backup again and this time it completed successfully with out any errors but it backed up all archives available from 3rd june and it ignored old log files .... Why ?

Also ,

Can any body intrepret the output of the below . -- This is also confusing

TYPE                         RECORD_SIZE RECORDS_TOTAL RECORDS_USED
FIRST_INDEX LAST_INDEX LAST_RECID
  • ---------- ---------- ARCHIVED LOG 584 8060 4836 8016 4791 11623

Regards

Bala