RE: Rebuild table

From: Michael Rosenblum <mrosenblum_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:47:59 -0400

Extra 2c. I would suggest as a possible solution already mentioned ALTER TABLE ... MOVE, but fired twice:
- first, move everything to completely different tablespace
  • second, move it back where the data belongs
  • rebuild indexes

To be fair, I don't exactly remember the real case, but sometimes ago (Oracle 10g R2 on Win32) this double-jump solved my space allocation problem, while single operation was not not giving me what I wanted.

Regards,
Michael Rosenblum

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Joe Smith [joe_dba_at_hotmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:19 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Rebuild table

I have a table that had 16 million records in it. I deleted rows out of it until I had only 6k rows. But I still have 57k blocks (8k size).

What is the best way to rebuild the table? The table is varchar2 and number datatypes.