Re: Oracle RAC - Any formula to calculate/preempt the right number of LMS processes?

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:02:17 -0500

Malik,

Are you running them in real time priority? If yes, you can reduce it to 4 or (# of instances-1) and monitor the latencies of the RAC wait events/CPU usage of the LMS processes. AFAIK there is no magic formula for  calculating the # of LMSs.

One of the most common practices is to schedule the number of RT processes < # of CPUs to avoid spin/hang on CPUs. If your current settings works fine for your workload, I would stick to it.

-Gopal