application design question

From: Michael Moore <michaeljmoore_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:39:44 -0700

Currently we have a Java GUI that invokes a pl/sql package procedure (A) which does a lot of stuff and then returns control to the GUI. The trouble is, it's taking too long. The 'stuff' it does is more suitable to a batch job.

My proposed solution is for the GUI to invoke procedure (B) which will then use DBMS_SCHEDULER to immediately invoke procedure (A). Procedure (B) would then, of course, immediately return control to the GUI.

The Java GUI functionality would be expanded to be able to monitor currently running jobs and all jobs ( of this type) for say, the last month. The user should be able to see his job, when it ran, success/fail, and any error messages that might have been raised.

What is the best way to go about this. No doubt this wheel has already been invented many times. Is there an existing code framework that I can leverage so that we don't need to write this from scratch?

TIA,
Regards,
Mike