RE: Index locking?

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:12:31 -0400

Um, if you didn't look at the wait event, how did you determine "...the waiter's session was waiting to acquire a lock on an index"?

-Mark

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ram Raman Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:41 PM
To: Stephane Faroult
Cc: toon.koppelaars_at_rulegen.com; ORACLE-L; fmhabash_at_gmail.com Subject: Re: Index locking?

Thank you for the replies.

I did not look at the wait event at that time.

The index type comes up as 'normal':

  1 select owner, table_name, index_name, index_type   2 from dba_indexes
  3* where index_name = 'PS_JRNL_HEADER' SQL>
SQL> /

OWNER        TABLE_NAME                     INDEX_NAME                     INDEX_TYPE

------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------------------------
SYSADM PS_JRNL_HEADER PS_JRNL_HEADER NORMAL

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com<mailto:sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>> wrote: Or an IOT?

On 06/15/2011 08:53 PM, Toon Koppelaars wrote: Is this a bitmap index?
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com<mailto:veeeraman_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi

After getting complaints about slow process we found out that one user's session was blocking another user's session. I found out that the waiter's session was waiting to acquire a lock on an index. This is based on data from v$session of the waiting session.

The index was built/rebuilt about 10 months ago - it could not have been index rebuild that could have caused the lock. I tried googling to find more information about locking of indexes but not able to find anything that can help me. ver 10.2. Can anyone explain or point to information on index locking.

Thanks.

--

Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV