RE: IBM Consulting info

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:02:15 -0400

Try to convince your friend to get his company to keep a DBA on as an application DBA. My experience with outsourced DBA's is that they are good at the nuts/bolts of being a DBA but not in figuring out what is wrong with an application. I think that might be part of the contract but as everyone knows, most developers don't write code to scale. It's very easy for a DBA to say it's not the database fault, it's the app. Your company will need someone that can zero in on performance problems quickly and identify the situation. You won't get that with IBM.

My best call ever with India was when I had to diagnose a stuck dbwr. That part was pretty easy but communicating the problem to India when there was a massive dog fight in the background was difficult. I'm not exaggerating, the guy said the strays had gotten into the building and were terrorizing the place.