RE: Linux with Windows interface ?

From: Amaral, Rui <Rui.Amaral_at_tdsecurities.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:07:38 -0400

Definitely get a handle on vi or vim (vim is based on vi and it can be found here: http://www.vim.org/)

If you are to build the system yourself from scratch then installing a desktop would be the thing to do. Most SA's that I know prefer gnome as it has a slightly smaller memory footprint than KDE. If you were to inherit a machine from an SA, specifically as a database server, then the likelihood of having a desktop installed is minimal (again because the memory usage of desktop will take away from the db resources). In which case, do as Michael suggested. Just be aware of making the text editor save in UNIX like format - windows format embeds a lot of junk like carriage returns that causes problems on UNIX and Linux.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 8:45 AM
To: mdinh_at_xifin.com
Cc: walid_alkaakati_at_yahoo.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Linux with Windows interface ?

Something very powerful in linux console is vi. If you learn to use vi you'll find you can't live without it. It's not very intuitive, though.

Anyway, you won't find a replacement for Excel... open office math (is it?) is great, but it's nowhere near excel 2007 yet. Still, Openoffice will probably be the office suite of choice as it can handle ms offfice formats.

In the meantime, take a look at this: http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html It looks somewhat outdated, but it should be a fair starting point.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the linux comunity ;-)

if I were you i'd suscribe to www.linuxquestions.org<http://www.linuxquestions.org> and post questions there, it's a great bunch of people.

Cheers
Alan.-

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Michael Dinh <mdinh_at_xifin.com<mailto:mdinh_at_xifin.com>> wrote: I believe software such as Ultra-Edit (need licensing) will allow you to open and edit remote files.

What I have seen others do as well is to connect to server using SCP and to open the file using favorite editor.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>] On Behalf Of walid alkaakati [walid_alkaakati_at_yahoo.com<mailto:walid_alkaakati_at_yahoo.com>] Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 1:00 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Linux with Windows interface ?

Hi list,

Iam used to install oracle under windows for many years recently i received a request to work under linux redhat or susi,my question is thier an interface or GUI or other utilities that help me in editing files ,...... like i used to do under Windows ? at least untill i get used to this new enviroment !.

Thanks

NOTICE: Confidential message which may be privileged. Unauthorized use/disclosure prohibited. If received in error, please go to www.td.com/legal for instructions. AVIS : Message confidentiel dont le contenu peut être privilégié. Utilisation/divulgation interdites sans permission. Si reçu par erreur, prière d'aller au www.td.com/francais/avis_juridique pour des instructions.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Jun 13 2011 - 08:07:38 CDT

Original text of this message