Re: Oracle Monitoring Tool

From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:43:32 +0100

Obviously, there is internally, in 11g, adaptive cursor sharing.

This (AFAIK) only tackles performance issues with SQL containing bind variables and doesn't raise an alert, although I suppose it would be trivial to monitor and alert on the basis of plans that had been stable and had suddenly started to generate multiple plans, assuming that the query contained bind variables.

Beyond that, I can see plans changing (predominantly) due to:

1. Upgrades
2. Statistics changing (From Inaccurate to accurate)
3. Real statistics changing (Table changing in size)

  1. Perhaps should be tackled with RAT.
  2. This shouldn't be happening without the DBA already being aware of a problem.
  3. Possibly this would be useful, but it's still reactive, you would have already had to observe a degradation in performance before this alert could be raised.

So in the third scenario, there would be some short term value in a system warning you that a component of a batch job had changed plan before the Batch job had completed, but I would suggest that this would be a hard sell for a third party tool vendor, so if such a tool exists, I suspect that it would be open source.

D.