applying cpu patch to data guard

From: Armstrong-Champ, Joseph William <Joseph.Armstrong-Champ_at_tufts.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:19:46 +0000

We just applied the latest cpu patch to a test data guard environment without downtime to the application by (some steps are left out):
  • Cancelling recovery
  • Patching the standby binaries
  • Switch over to the standby (note: the catbundle has not been applied)
  • Patch the primary (original) binaries
  • Switchover (original primary is now primary again)
  • Run the catbundle script against the primary

Everything worked out ok. We were told that this is ok to do but it isn't the way it is outlined in the cpu doc. Does anyone else do it this way? Any comments?

Joe