RE: anyway to restart mmon after database shutdown is cancelled?

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 17:00:40 -0400

I think I’d agree. You might try waking up smon and/or pmon, but I’m not sure that will do it.

MMON does seem to be a process that can be restarted while DB is up and running. It’s possible for a message like this to appear in the alert log, at least on 11gR2: Thu Jul 31 10:18:39 2010 Restarting dead background process MMON MMON started with pid=11, OS id=1984

To wake up pmon and or smon, join v$bgprocess and v$process, retrieve pid for each, then do: SQL> oradebug wakeup <pid of smon or pmon>

Finally, I’m not sure why folks are so cautious of shutdown abort and/or startup force. It should be perfectly safe to do so.

-Mark

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:55 PM
To: sacrophyte_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: anyway to restart mmon after database shutdown is cancelled?

Charles,

I will “guess” that you will need to restart the database to get MMON back up. I’ve not yet seen a way to start individual background processes.

Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Charles Schultz Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:30 PM
To: ORACLE-L

We had a dba boo-boo today; and now I have a curious issue on my hands. MMON and several other background processes are down, but the instance seems to have other recovered after an errant shutdown command was cancelled. So far Google has not shown me anything helpful. Wondering if there any tricks out there.

Oracle Enterprise Edition, 11.1.0.7.7
Sun Solaris 10

--

Charles Schultz