Re: Is a RDBMS needed?

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 23:46:17 +0300

I'd say that there are at least several potential questions to answer: 1) some non-functional requiremets like: - security
- necessary performance including how many concurrent users, how much data, what if they modify the same record etc etc - backup/restore - what if all the chat, discussions and probably some more important data will go into a black hole? - others have already mentioned some good aspects 2) some functional requirements like:
- reports - I'm always veeeery suspicious about new coool technologies and necessity to make some reports over all data. It usually works fine with one or few records, but reports on all items - no, no, not yet :)
- everything that will include scanning and probably modifying a big chunk of data, a change that causes necessity to modify many content objects

Speaking about Rdbmses - Oracle isn't the only rdbms and eneterprise edition isn't the only edition. SE and especially SE ONE costs next to nothing compared with a few person months of development of new system that will need some features like these. MySQL and PostgreSQL are also options without any licensing cost at all. Of course it also depends on available people and their skills, but reinventing the wheel could be quite dangerous and only few have succeeded.

And speaking about fathers and sons - Mark Twain said it probably best: When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu