Re: Is a RDBMS needed?

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:19:09 -0700 (PDT)

It's kind of like my five kids.... they always want to go out and do things
better than dad. Then later on, they have come back full circle and realized
that maybe dad wasn't so wrong after all.....

RDBMS's will stand the test of time, and will evolve as the need requires. Niche
players will come, and they will go as soon as the standard RDBMS platforms
catch up to new niche technology and needs. I can think of one particular niche
player now in the content management field. Their "database" engine is
specifiably designed for content managment and long ago it out shone Oracle in
one niche area in terms of performance... but that was all it was good for,
performance. You could not even do a hot backup on the thing or point-in-time
recovery, etc...etc....etc... Now Oracle has caught up in this niche, performs
at least as well as this player if not better and offers significantly more
overall functionality. In the mean time, suckers shelled out millions of dollars
for a short term solution that didn't offer the long term advantages of a
platform with years of solid development and testing behind it. I project that
within 5 years, this particular vendor will be another has-been or will be
bought by someone. Just my 2 cents....

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line.

Note: THIS EMAIL IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ORACLE SUPPORT COMMUNICATION. It is just the
opinion of one Oracle employee. I can be wrong, have been wrong in the past and
will be wrong in the future. If your problem is a critical production problem,
you should always contact Oracle support for assistance. Statements in this
email in no way represent Oracle Corporation or any subsidiaries and reflect
only the opinion of the author of this email.