Re: How get everything back in sync after manual removal of archivelogs

From: Wayne Smith <wts_at_maine.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:54:39 -0400

Your validation will fail if the logs you removed are required.

For example, let's say you removed all logs created before yesterday, then yesterday did a level 0 backup.

  • "RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE;" would work fine.
  • "CHANGE ARCHIVELOG ALL CROSSCHECK;" would show all the missing logs.
  • "RESTORE ARCHIVELOG FROM TIME 'SYSDATE-7' VALIDATE;" would complain about the missing logs.

The problem is that though crosscheck has been run, the control file or catalog still contains references to the now missing logs. Solution:

  • "DELETE NOPROMPT EXPIRED ARCHIVELOG ALL;" This will show actual deletion of the entries for the logs.

Cheers, Wayne

Google before you ask. (R. Theriault)