RE: Is a RDBMS needed?

From: Amaral, Rui <Rui.Amaral_at_tdsecurities.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:52:45 -0400

It's an interesting question. I too feel that this is not a good idea though giving a quick read on the following does make me think that it has it's place in connection with using an rdbms.:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11163161/JCR-or-RDBMS-why-when-how#outer_page_35

But as a standalone system? Ummmmmm... Maybe not.

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator
ITS - SSG
TD Bank Financial Group
220 Bay St., 11th Floor
Toronto, ON, CA, M5K1A2
(bb) (647) 204-9106

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Blake Wilson Sent: donderdag 9 juni 2011 17:23
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Is a RDBMS needed?

Here at the University of Western Ontario we are looking at replacing our current Learning Management System. The current choices seem to be similar in technology and infrastructure - web tier, load balancer, application tier, back end RDBMS and some sort of content management system for the course content.

However, the next release of one of our options will not have a RDBMS in the solution. It will be replaced by Apache Jackrabbit. The new system will have everything treated as content, including grades, test questions and answers, discussion threads, syllabi, personal profiles, chat messages, and so on.

This seems like quite a departure from normal RDBMS based solutions. Is this a good idea? Am I being a dinosaur by thinking that this is not a good idea? Do I need to keep up with the times? Is this the future of databases? This really looks to me like a return to design of 20 years ago.

Thanks,
Blake Wilson

NOTICE: Confidential message which may be privileged. Unauthorized use/disclosure prohibited. If received in error, please go to www.td.com/legal for instructions. AVIS : Message confidentiel dont le contenu peut être privilégié. Utilisation/divulgation interdites sans permission. Si reçu par erreur, prière d'aller au www.td.com/francais/avis_juridique pour des instructions.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Jun 09 2011 - 10:52:45 CDT

Original text of this message