RE: Is a RDBMS needed?

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:49:59 +0000

I had to look up what Apache Jackrabbit is and based on the fact it is "The Apache Jackrabbit(tm) content repository is a fully conforming implementation of the Content Repository for Java Technology API (JCR, specified in JSR 170 and 283)." I would saw no, you are not being a dinosaur. Based on all the comments I have read about java programmers trying to do everything in java, including replacing features that the database manager like Oracle provide and have spent 20 years developing, then I think you are showing prudent concern.

If this is a feasible solution depends on how solid Jackrabbit is, how well the developers understand its use, and how well the developers write java to begin with. Also how the number of concurrent users that are going to access the system also seems like it also play into this, but a 'Content Manager' really does not seem like the right tool for the job to me.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Blake Wilson Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:23 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Is a RDBMS needed?

Here at the University of Western Ontario we are looking at replacing our current Learning Management System. The current choices seem to be similar in technology and infrastructure - web tier, load balancer, application tier, back end RDBMS and some sort of content management system for the course content.

However, the next release of one of our options will not have a RDBMS in the solution. It will be replaced by Apache Jackrabbit. The new system will have everything treated as content, including grades, test questions and answers, discussion threads, syllabi, personal profiles, chat messages, and so on.

This seems like quite a departure from normal RDBMS based solutions. Is this a good idea? Am I being a dinosaur by thinking that this is not a good idea? Do I need to keep up with the times? Is this the future of databases? This really looks to me like a return to design of 20 years ago.

Thanks,
Blake Wilson