Re: select/insert/delete

From: Michael Moore <michaeljmoore_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:02:51 -0700

Hi Timo,
You might not have caught my response to Jonathan. ...

Quoting myself,

"Currently there is an Online Approval screen (java) where the user approves up to say 200,000 transactions. When the user hits SUBMIT, a PL/SQL process is invoked. The PL/SQL process first applies several business edits to the approved transactions: do they all have acceptable status codes; is referential data in place; and so on. The process then reads all of the approved transaction from table A, inserts those transactions into table B and then deletes those transactions from table A. The whole process can take up to 10 minutes depending on system load. Meanwhile the user sits there waiting for control of the screen to return. There ARE some concurrency concerns during this 10 minute window.
I need to make this run a hell of a lot faster. Good news is, I'm pretty sure I can do it."

Also, there is some data transforms between tables A and B. I.e the data is slightly different.

Regards,
Mike