Re: Oracle-l email prefix (question for admins)

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 08:40:54 -0700

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Michael Moore <michaeljmoore_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> I would like to request a prefix for the subject line of emails from this
> list.
>
> For example, instead of:
> *Subject:need help with sql query*
> you would see
> * Subject:[ORA-L]need help with sql query*
> *
> *
> Obviously it's up to you if you think this is a good idea or not, but it
> would be very helpful to me.

Hi Mike,

I am no longer an admin of this list, but do have an opinion. :)

If your email reader can't properly deal with email headers for filtering purposes,
you probably need to use a different email reader, at least for mailing lists.

At least that seems to usually be the motivation for this hack.

Oracle-L is a dedicated mailing list that is setup so that the To: address is oracle-l_at_freelists.org. Just setup a filter to redirect your emails to where ever.

If you are using gmail, it also has the ability to recognize mailing lists.

Of course there is some speculation involved here, as you didn't actually tell us why you thought it a good idea.

IAC, adding a tag to the subject line has never been considered a good idea AFAICR.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com