Re: average multiblock read size

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 19:06:20 -0500

Kyle,

From the reference, physical read total bytes is "Total size in bytes of disk reads by all database instance activity including application reads, backup and recovery, and other utilities. The difference between this value and "physical read bytes" gives the total read size in bytes by non-application workload."

So I would assume this includes controlfile and redo reads as they are part of backup and recovery and other utilities.

Physical Read Bytes is "Total size in bytes of all disk reads by application activity (and not other instance activity) only". I would interpret this as pure dbwr and end user SQL IO.

-Gopal