Re: v$sysmetric, measuring IOPs

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 11:19:11 +0100

That would seem to be an appropriate way of doing so. Your O/S may have instrumentation that can tell you IO per process/mount point (assuming you've defined mount points in such a way as to dedicate resources to oracle) .

By the way congratulations - these questions nearly always go the other way around "How can I find out the I/O capability of my hardware" rather than "how do I know what hardware I need". Assuming you get the purchasing decision right you are ahead of the game.

Niall

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Vladimir Barac <vbarac_at_alghanim.com>wrote:

> Hi, listers
>

> I want to measure IOPs generated by Oracle and then to use these values
> when sizing new SAN array.
>

> My idea is to sample v$sysmetric ('Physical Read Total IO Requests Per Sec'
> + 'Physical Write Total IO Requests Per Sec') values and store them in some
> table for reference later on.
>

> Is this valid approach? Is there some other way to find out what are IOPs
> generated by Oracle?
>

> Regards,
>
> Vladimir Barac

> This e-mail message and any attachments to it are for the sole use of the
> intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information.
> This e-mail message and any attachments are the property of Yusuf A.
> Alghanim & Sons w.l.l. or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates (“Alghanim
> Industries”). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution of
> this e-mail message or its attachments is prohibited. Any opinions expressed
> in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
> opinion of Alghanim Industries. If you are not an intended recipient, please
> notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
> message and any attachments.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info