RE: db_unique_name

From: Jorgensen, Finn <Finn.Jorgensen_at_constellation.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:37:07 -0400

Actually, If you're not using DG Broker, you're not using TAF and you're not using RAC (there may be more exceptions) but just have a plain vanilla standalone DB with a standby on another server and your failovers are manual, there is no need to make the db_unique_name different between the primary and the standby. What you will need is a TNS name for the standby that points to the server it's on so you can specify that SERVICE in the LAD2 parameter. That's it.

Thanks,
Finn

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Goulet, Richard Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:02 PM
To: kp0773_at_gmail.com; Oracle-L_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: db_unique_name

DB_UNIQUE_NAME must be different between the primart and standby as follows:

Primary

Db_name=fox
Db_unique_name =foxp

Standby

Db_name=fox
Db_unique_name=foxs

Rather simplistic, but I think you'll catch on.

Richard Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/Na Team Leader

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of K R Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:47 PM
To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: db_unique_name

All,

I have the primary db on server A , and planning to make the standby on server B. Can I have the db_unique_name same same as db_name in standby database.?

appreicate any suggestion.

thanks
Kart