RE: Disaster Recovery solutions for Oracle...

From: Jorgensen, Finn <Finn.Jorgensen_at_constellation.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 13:04:11 -0400

Masha,

You can do what everybody did before DG was available (i.e Oracle 7 & 8) : write your own set of scripts that ships archivelogs to the standby server where you have a database in mount mode and another script that looks for archived logs to arrive and then performs recovery. You still need an Oracle license on both servers but don't need a DG license (if such a thing is required; I'm not involved in contract negotiations). This can even be done with a SE license.

Thanks,
Finn

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Masha Gurenich Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 12:50 PM
To: Oracle L
Subject: Disaster Recovery solutions for Oracle...

Not using Oracle :D

Hello gurus and senseis ,

Just wanted to ask a silly question (well, not so silly if you are a big shop with tons of clients to whom you sell ASP :p)

Have you guys ever considered any solutions other than RAC and DG? We are using both for our internal development. We are also implementing both for our beefy clients, but many of them cannot afford licenses for all of these fun things..

I started to think and look around: yes, Oracle allows you to use DG without license for up to 10 days, but there are soo many cons that for many of our clients this is not a possibilities.. Failover is a local solution and many of them need remote sites configured in different states..

I am just wondering, is there any paper or article or any insight on the issue? Has anybody done any research? How do people workaround? This kind of thoughts..

Please, share your experience, if any.

Thank you so much before hands and i really appreciate any time you put towards this email. M
>>> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, may contain legal,
professional or other privileged information, and are intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, do not use the information in this e-mail in any way, delete this e-mail and notify the sender. CEG-IP2