RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 13:56:37 +0100

Richard,

>> .... they are used by Oracle for their internal purposes.
Partitioning in
>> Enterprise Edition comes immediately to mind. You must
>> install it and you can't deinstall it because some of the internal
sys objects are
>> partitioned which a check of a 11.1.0.7.0 EE database shows:

Have you checked DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS for partitioning?

SQL> select name
  2 from DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS
  3 where name like 'Partitioning%'

NAME

Partitioning (system)
Partitioning (system)
Partitioning (user)
Partitioning (user)

There are two separate partitioning "options" in a 10g database. I have no idea why there are duplicates! Might be a separate "incarnation" of the database. I'll check the DBID later.

>> TABLE_OWNER COUNT(*)
>> ------------------------------ ----------
>> MDSYS 2
>> SYSTEM 38
>> SYS 220
So the ones you have listed in the above query will be Partitioning (system) usage. On my 10g database I see this:

SQL> select banner from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Prod PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
CORE 10.2.0.4.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

As you can see, nothing there mentions the Partitioning option, but ...

SQL> select owner,count(*)
  2 from dba_tables
  3 where partitioned = 'YES'
  4 group by owner;

OWNER                            COUNT(*)
------------------------------ ----------
SYSTEM                                 27
SYS                                    23

And querying DBA_ shows this for partitioning:

SQL> select dbid, name, detected_usages, currently_used   2 from DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS
  3 where name like 'Partitioning%';

      DBID NAME                  DETECTED_USAGES CURRE
---------- --------------------- --------------- -----
3189876621 Partitioning (system)               31 TRUE
3189876621 Partitioning (system)              151 TRUE
3189876621 Partitioning (user)                  0 FALSE
3189876621 Partitioning (user)                  0 FALSE

(I have even less ideas about the duplicates now!)

>> Now they definitely can't make you pay for an option that you're not
>> using, but they are.

I have also mentioned that when I patched a database from 10.2.0.x to a later 10.2 release, various options that I explicitly did not install - data mining, OLAP etc - were reinstated after the patching.

And, when we were audited (in a past life), Oracle Licensing *were* and indeed *did* attempting to charge us for options installed regardless of use.

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
Capgemini Database Team (EA)
Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk