RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 10:05:58 -0700

Hi Norman, I checked the 10g and 11g Licensing documents (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199.pdf & http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594.pdf) and I wasn't able to find the part you mentioned below stating that you must pay for installed options, whether used or not. Could you please provide a precise link, page number or paragraph where this is stated?

I did find the below paragraph in both documents, which seems to contradict the idea that a license is required only for installation since they only mention that you may not *use* the options without licenses. It seems if a license was required for the installation alone, then they would replace the word "use" with "install" in this paragraph:

From http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/options.htm#CIHDDBCG: (emphasis on *use* is my own)

"You may not *use* the options, packs, or products described below without separately purchased licenses. The fact that these options, packs, or products may be included in product CDs or downloads or described in documentation that you receive does not authorize you to *use* them without purchasing appropriate licenses."

Thanks,
Brandon