Re: [SOLVED] missing alert.log mystery (it's not what you think)

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 07:12:07 -0700 (PDT)

> I find it interesting that Oracle is always (always?) looking for
> ./alert_$SID.log first.

./ means current working directory. On Linux, that's what /proc/<pid>/cwd points to. Solaris should have a similar pseudo file. In addition, Solaris has pwdx command (`pwdx your_pid'). Oracle on UNIX/Linux always sets the cwd of its processes to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs (On Windows, it's %oracle_home%\database).

I tested in 11.2.0.1 on Linux. It doesn't seem to check ./alert_$SID.log first. After I did

touch $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/alert_$ORACLE_SID.log

exec dbms_system.ksdwrt(3, 'test') still writes to the existing alert.log, leaving the newly touch-ed file at size 0. Maybe Oracle corrected the problem in this version?

Yong Huang