Re: [SOLVED] missing alert.log mystery (it's not what you think)

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 17:44:25 -0600

I have for years renamed the alert log on a weekly basis, and eventually gzipped it, in order to keep it reasonably sized. Oracle just starts a new alert log. Granted, I haven't done a direct bzip on it but that should be no different - except maybe, if the bzip takes a while and oracle tries to write to it while it is open by bzip. I haven't verified on 11.1.0.7 but on 11.2.0.2 that rename still works and Oracle creates a new alert log with the original name ( alert_instance.log ) so I am pretty confident it does also work for 11.1.0.7. In contrast to. e.g. the listener log, which you must not rename. There I do a cp to a new file followed by cp /dev/null > listener.log.