Re: OT: Network latency benchmarks or tests ? (re NFS)

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 13:40:31 -0700

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:27 AM, kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Bit off topic, but I haven't been able to track down a good network latency
> test for timing of block transfers off of NFS mounts.
> There are some good network throughput test tools, most notably netio (
> http://www.ars.de/ars/ars.nsf/docs/netio<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ars.de%2Fars%2Fars.nsf%2Fdocs%2Fnetio&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdVNzyguB3g4dOsd2BOx11KCCOz4Q>)
> which I've been using,

I was about to suggest netio...

> Sure there is ping, but ping only goes through the ICMP layer and there is
> not much in the way of configuration.

Please explain why that's bad, and/or what level you expect to see tested? Curios minds want to know.

You might look at this Perl module:
http://search.cpan.org/~octo/Net-Oping-1.21/lib/Net/Oping.pm  <http://search.cpan.org/~octo/Net-Oping-1.21/lib/Net/Oping.pm>I have not used it, but it may at least have some configuration you are looking for.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com