RE: AIX/Oracle11g/ARF - shared ORACLE_HOME using OEM

From: Jorgensen, Finn <Finn.Jorgensen_at_constellation.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:54:43 -0400

I have the same type of setup on Solaris and VCS except I don't use the ORACLE_HOSTNAME variable. That means OEM registers the database/target under the physical hostname. After a database and listener is failed over to a different host in the cluster the following emcli command is run (this is automated in my environment) :

emcli relocate_targets -src_agent="FromHostname:3872" -dest_agent="ToHostname:3872" -target_name="TargetName" -target_type="oracle_database" -copy_from_src

Replace hostnames with your actual hostnames and actual target name. 3872 is the port number of the agent.

I get the "from hostname" by keeping a file in a directory that fails over along with the database (I use the pfile directory). That file contains the OEM hostname that currently monitors the target. When the script runs the emcli command it also updates the file to reflect the new hostname. "to hostname" is obviously the server the script is run on.

Thanks,
Finn

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niki Tragen Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:59 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: AIX/Oracle11g/ARF - shared ORACLE_HOME using OEM

Hi

I am trying to configure an AIX server with Oracle 11g which supports multiple databases that need to be able to move independently from this server to another. We are using a high-availability management tool called ARF to automate fail-over. We have built one ORACLE_BASE/ORACLE_HOME per server to reduce the management overhead and footprint of many copies of the software.

We need to use OEM to manage the database (currently exploring DBCONTROL) and have successfully set the ORACLE_HOSTNAME=srvtech variable to cause OEM to configure around 'srvtech' rather than the 'real hostname' of the server and this establishes the following 2 directories in the ORACLE_HOME (where QLTECH1 is the ORACLE_SID):

/u01/app/oracle/product/srvtech_QLTECH1

/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.2/oc4j/j2ee/kk

These two directories would not move to the fail-over server as they are resident in the local ORACLE_HOME. We have successfully moved the first of these (srvtech_QLTECH1) to a database file system and created a symbolic link, and this has worked successfully. Unfortunately this is not the case for the second directory as OEM looks for other files in the targeted file system.

Does anyone know how we can successfully configure the software to solve the above problem; or are there any other approaches which would support our requirement of managing our databases using OEM with a shared ORACLE_HOME but moveable databases. We are tied to using AIX/Oracle11g/ARF.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Niki Tragen
Oracle DBA/Technical Team Leader
Planning and Management Information