RE: HW evaluation for Oracle DB

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 18:19:11 -0400

Unfortunately it is not quite that easy.

Before you can figure out what hardware resources might improve your throughput and reduce your response time, you need to figure out what is consuming time currently.

If issues of concurrency are the root of your problems, it is probable that design revisions would be more important than hardware upgrades.

But tracing to discover the predominant wait events in your most important queries that are currently considered problems will at least give you an idea of what they are waiting for from the database engine (which includes actually waits, which may be concurrency issues such as waiting for a latch as well as service times such as lios and pios). Remember that, for example, if only 5 seconds of a query’s time is spent on i/o, then you could only improve the query time by 5 seconds with infinity fast i/o, so if you’re looking for 30 seconds of improvement you must look for something else.

You wrote “lately” so also check to see if something new is being done at awkward times, as opposed to “organic growth” which folks sometimes call just doing what you’ve done for quite a while but now at a higher rate.

Good luck,

mwf