Re: Intel Compared to Sun M-Series

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 16:31:06 -0700

I'd say:
- the 2:1 Intel Westmere-EP:SPARC VII+ core ratio from this partner is in line with my thoughts (so yes - the Intel core is faster) - Intel is probably cheaper per core/socket, especially at the smaller end of systems
- A 2 socket Westmere-EP or 4 or 8 socket Westmere-EX system is pretty powerful by most standards, considering an 4 x 10 core Westmere-EX is 4 rack units!
- No clue on Oracle license costs...but you can research that :)

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn