Re: Intel Compared to Sun M-Series

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 15:44:46 -0700

More performant doing what operation? This is kind of a trick question because core performance isn't necessarily equivalent to system performance (computers are more than cores...) and one core can be faster at one thing vs another.
Which Westmere? EP or EX?
Which SPARC? SPARC64 VII+?

I'd probably wager a Westmere-EP core is ~2-3x more powerful than a SPARC64 VII+ core if that is what you are after, but not sure what that tells you as you can only put 2 Westmere-EP chips (12 cores) in a system but you can put 64 SPARC64 VII+ chips (256 cores) in a system. Pretty soon, if not already, Westmere-EX (Xeon E7) will be out and that is 10 cores per chip up to 8 chips per system (80 cores).

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn