RE: Grant execute on DBMS_SYSTEM

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 11:16:53 -0400

Take a look at http://database-diva.com/blog/?p=6

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Leader

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of GBA-DBA Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:53 AM
To: Oracle Discussion List
Subject: Grant execute on DBMS_SYSTEM

Hello list,

I have a Websphere Portal admin facing some issues with the product and in his research of the problem he found a support note from IBM saying that all the default portal schemas (portal_comm, portal_cust, portal_fdbkdb, portal_jcrdb, portal_likeminds, portal_release) stored in an Oracle 11g R2 database need execute permissions on the DBMS_SYSTEM package.

These are internal schemas used by the product and no one should be playing with them but I feel I shouldn't grant this privilege without a proper explanation on why is required, how is being used by the product and potential issues that it nay cause.

Are there any security threats related to this privilege? Has anyone received a request like this from an application development/deployment perspective?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

--
Regards
GBA