Re: Truncate table 00054

From: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:25:27 +0100

A truncate is DDL rather than the DML of a delete. Any select will put a high level lock down on the table (to prevent the table being modified while it is being used). If there were any outstanding transactions of any sort, including a select in SQL*Plus, it will prevent a truncate as it needs an exclusive table level lock.

Regards

Neil.
sent from my phone, on a train, so unable to double check.