Oracle from UNIX to Windows

From: David Ramírez Reyes <dramirezr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:33:48 -0500

Hello guys,

This time I want to share with you a link that has saved my life. I have always been against the use of Microsoft in all ways and more if we are talking about Oracle DB's (Oracle with Microsoft on production?, you must be crazy!); for any reason, now I am working for a company which uses Oracle 8i (yes, some of us are still living on the past century!) over Windows, which is even more unbelivable.

As I have always worked with Oracle DB over Unix or Linux, I tried to focus on using the DB in the same way (with the same concepts of commands) but over Windows (bad idea), basic concepts like "...you cannot start the instance from SQLPlus – the Service must be running first.." or "Find the pid, using scqueryx" and use tasklist to kill the oracle processes on windows were killing me...

By the way, I hope someone can find this information useful as it was for me.

http://www.rampant-books.com/art_oracle_on_windows_unix_users.htm

David Ramírez Reyes
Profesión: Padre de Familia