RE: optimizer parameters

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:38:43 -0400

That's right.

And as it happened, more than one configurable off the shelf suite, and especially including the average case implementation of Oracle's own Ebiz at the time, gained a lot more than it lost by using this shotgun. Since any change to the underlying queries in these off the shelf packages by the customer was a customization and the cycle time to get individual "performance bugs" cycled through support was not conducive to a happy work environment, an indiscriminate swipe across the whole database was a reasonable reaction. The people who understood it was a win some lose some proposition, but in the case of Ebiz actually a win most proposition were unfortunately quickly outnumbered in internet presence by folks advising this particular magic bullet being used in shotgun pellet form everywhere.

So the evidence of it working broadly for Ebiz and some other suites with very few important plans being degraded indeed led to a phase of popularity of magic bullets being applied out of scope. In context, knowing that a suite built by folks who believed in heavy indexing on balance and rates of insert and update that scaled within expectations at the time with time to finish month end report dominated close processes being paramount, tilting plans broadly in favor of index based plans without changing a lick of code made sense. Out of context, where an appropriate narrow scope was available, it made no sense but became popular anyway by dint of being shouted.

Tuning a "big knob" on a test system and measuring the outcome differential is a reasonable thing to do if you've got a pandemic of bad plans. If it is an overall win, super. That reduces the urgency and head count of remaining bad plans to address at a smaller scope. If it is a loser, it takes almost nothing to reverse the decision. But folks have correctly recognized that a shotgun approach to a narrow problem on a generally healthy system is a risky game.

mwf