Re: Setting up storage Array for ASM

From: Steven Andrew <postora_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:42:09 -0700

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 4:53 AM, David Robillard <david.robillard_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> With that in mind, you might want to change the 2 x 1 TB LUNs for 4 x
> 512 GB LUNs. But keep in mind that if you need to add more disk space
> to either disk groups, you will need a 512 GB LUN which is relatively
> big. That is to satisfy the ASM data distribution and balance
> operation as the fine manual says: « Oracle ASM data distribution
> policy is capacity-based. Ensure that Oracle ASM disks in a disk group
> have the same capacity to maintain balance. » In other words, use LUNs
> of the same size in the same disk group.

Hi David,

Thanks for the detailed mail. One thing I tend to disagree is minimum 4 LUNs per diskgroup recommendation. Isn't creating smaller LUNs, increases the LUNs maintenance in the DG like having smaller datafiles for tablespaces. At least that was the theory i had come up with fewer bigger LUNs within DG. As all LUNs will be coming off of same RAID set, does it really matter having smaller LUNs? I understand to increase the DG, i would need another TB, but if database is NOT going grow beyond allocated space, it shouldn't be a problem right.

Thanks,
Steven.