Re: optimizer parameters

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 19:49:57 +0200

Tim,

> On the other hand, we've all been here. The vendor is likely to dig
> in their heels, demand that the parameters be changed, ignore your
> well-reasoned advice, and your management will override you because
> legal advised them to, and that's that. Just the way it is... ...can
> you see that this weekend hasn't been nearly long enough? :-)

I beg to disagree. I once had a problem with a query that was taking a very long time on a development database with relatively low volumes compared to the 4 minutes it was taking on the production database (three times bigger). The DBAs were instructed to do what they could to have identical plans in both cases. I rewrote the query, and demonstrated that it could get the result in 2 or 3 seconds in dev - and that by the way it was taking now 30s in prod. Sent the test-case back, never heard of them after that.

SF