RE: Alternatives to RMAN cleartext password in batch file for backups?

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <"Mercadante,>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:22:11 -0400

Bill,

Build your rman script within your unix script and use the rman connect command.

You would then simply run rman and feed it your back script. Delete the script afterward and the password is gone.

You could then better hide the rman password this way. At least it's not on the command line and viewable via the unix "ps" command.

Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Bill Myers [bwmyers_at_gmail.com] Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:05 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Alternatives to RMAN cleartext password in batch file for backups?

Hi all,
I have the following commands in a batch file scheduled for daily execution:

set oracle_sid=mydatadb
rman target / catalog mycatusr/mycatpwd_at_mycatdb script Daily_Backup >> backup.log

My organization requires the catalog password (mycatpwd) above to be encrypted and not stored as clear text in any other file or environment variable. How can I still use this batch file for scheduled backups without providing a clear text password?

The only option I can think of is to compile the commands into a binary executable. Any other ideas besides that?

Thanks in advance.
Bill