Re: ASM on Linux 6

From: David Robillard <david.robillard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 15:19:32 -0400

> This seems to be a very serious situation for us: I think a call to my Oracle
> Sales Rep for a strongly worded protest is in order.

Why use ASMLib in the first place?

Of course the official ASM documentation [1] says that if you're running Linux, then « use the Oracle ASMLIB feature to provide consistent device naming and permission persistency. » But you can achieve the same goal with udev instead of ASMLib [2]. Don't take my word for it and check out Christo Kutrovsky's presentation « RAC+ASM: 3 years in
production. Stories to share » [3] in which he also suggests to drop ASMLib in favor of udev.

The main reason I don't like ASMLib is because it has to be kept in sync with your kernel version. So every time you do a kernel upgrade, you have to fiddle with ASMLib otherwise your node can't see the disks. While udev is part of the base OS and so it's a lot easier to manage. Yes, writing udev rules can be complex and ASMLib is a bit more simple to use. But once the udev rules have been written, adding a new LUN is very easy.

HTH, David

[1] http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16102/asmprepare.htm#BABJHHEC
[2] http://itdavid.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-increase-disk-space-in-existing.html
[3] http://www.pythian.com/news/9055/oracle-rac-asm-3-years-in-production-stories-to-share-slides-from-rmoug10/