Re: ASM on Linux 6

From: David Robillard <david.robillard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 15:19:32 -0400

> This seems to be a very serious situation for us: I think a call to my Oracle
> Sales Rep for a strongly worded protest is in order.

Why use ASMLib in the first place?

Of course the official ASM documentation [1] says that if you're running Linux, then use the Oracle ASMLIB feature to provide consistent device naming and permission persistency. But you can achieve the same goal with udev instead of ASMLib [2]. Don't take my word for it and check out Christo Kutrovsky's presentation RAC+ASM: 3 years in
production. Stories to share [3] in which he also suggests to drop ASMLib in favor of udev.

The main reason I don't like ASMLib is because it has to be kept in sync with your kernel version. So every time you do a kernel upgrade, you have to fiddle with ASMLib otherwise your node can't see the disks. While udev is part of the base OS and so it's a lot easier to manage. Yes, writing udev rules can be complex and ASMLib is a bit more simple to use. But once the udev rules have been written, adding a new LUN is very easy.

HTH, David

[1] http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16102/asmprepare.htm#BABJHHEC
[2] http://itdavid.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-increase-disk-space-in-existing.html
[3] http://www.pythian.com/news/9055/oracle-rac-asm-3-years-in-production-stories-to-share-slides-from-rmoug10/