Re: ASM on Linux 6

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:10:58 +0100

Marianne: This announcement only affects ASMLib, not the use of ASM generally on Linux. Since just about everyone I speak to avoids using ASMLib anyway (on RHEL and OL), this has no impact on ASM usage on Linux.

I think this announcement is more about Oracle pulling away from ASMLib, than about trying to scupper RHEL, although I'm sure they would like to do that too. :)

If you have any concerns, do a test install using UDEV (the Linux device manager) to control ownership and permissions on your disks, rather than ASMLib. Here is a simple example without multi-pathing:

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/linux/UdevScsiRulesConfigurationInOracleLinux5.php

Personally, I don;t mind using ASMLib, but I will probably never use it again because it seems so unpopular. Why get locked in to something that is gradually moving to end-of-life status? :)

Cheers

Tim...