Re: curious: v$database.log_type

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:21:11 +0100

hmm, I'd have expected it the other way around, prior to 10g you had to explicitly start automatic archival (via log_archive_start). In those days if you enabled archiving but didn't set log_archive_start true then you had to manually archive. I don't have an 8/9 to experiment on to show this though.

2011/4/19 Vit Spinka <vit.spinka_at_vitspinka.cz>

> Hi all,
>
> I just came across something I never heard about so far: Reference manual
> states that v$database.log_type can be NOARCHIVELOG, ARCHIVELOG or MANUAL.
> The question is: what does "MANUAL" mean?
>
> For sake of completeness:
> It's mentioned in docs for 10.1, 10.2, 11.1 and 11.2.
> 9.2 does not list the possible values at all.
> 8.1.7 lists NOARCHIVELOG, ARCHIVELOG.
> [That's all versions I found on tahiti.oracle.com]
> Metalink also did not help in shedding any light.
>
> Any clues?
> Vit

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA