Re: OT: Anyone using Kindle for Oracle Docs and/or other tech docs?

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 00:32:58 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Jared,

> Has anyone had good success with using the Kindle for Oracle docs
> and other technical documentation?

I don't have access to a Kindle, but as my wife has the e-paper (non-color) Nook I thought I'd try it out.

Without using the Nook much at all (other than setup and firmware updates), I plugged it into my Linux box via micro USB, then mounted the drive after it appeared. I copied over a few specific PDFs -- some actual books, a whitepaper, and an older PDF-only ebook. All are DRM-free.

All were easily readable to me using a "Medium" font. The small font allowed an entire page to be viewed at once, but it wasn't comfortable for my Answer-to-the-Ultimate-Question-aged eyes. Large made the text larger than that of a child's first book. I didn't try the others as these three seemed to suffice for testing.

It didn't take long for me to figure out how to skip to specific chapters and the device performance on page flipping was very reasonable (not much slower than a modern PC). I will admit that I kept trying to swipe the e-paper display though -- an Android habit.

Drawbacks? The PDF has to have the real book title in it instead of the publisher's website's internal random strings or it's not visible in the book index. Shouldn't be a huge issue. Also, the Pro APEX book had all of the publishing marks visible for each page, which meant I needed to flip pages twice to skip them. But that's about it.

I'm kinda jealous. It was bloody easy to load PDFs and very easy to read, bookmark, and search. I wonder what the "Games" section on this thing has...

Rich