Re: ASM and EMC PowerPath

From: Karl Arao <karlarao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:19:11 +0800

Hi Dimitre,

The major/minor of emcpowerp1 is 120 241...

I would do this report every time there will be change on the storage side (let's say SAN Migration, powerpath upgrade)

But take note, ASM is not really dependent on the major/minor numbers.. it is dependent on the ASM header information when you created that ASM disk.

So let's say I'll be migrating to a new SAN storage.. I can do a SAN copy on a different set of LUNs on that new SAN and have totally new major/minor numbers but when you boot again the server with the new LUNs the ASM will still work as if nothing happened (no partprobe and scandisks needed). Cool right? :)

BTW, we did no changes (default) on the ORACLEASM_SCANORDER and ORACLEASM_SCANEXCLUDE

--
Karl Arao
karlarao.wordpress.com