Re: AIX - Processor Folding; schedo -o vpm_xvcpus; good with Oracle??

From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 13:32:42 +0100

I think I've lost my posting privileges to the Oracle-l list, so Take that into consideration along with the fact that you won't get any feedback from the list to assist you in validating my response.

I recall, probably between AIX4 and AIX5, where I encountered AIX specific issues where IBM had re-written some of it's Async I/O infrastructure, and this caused issues the the current version of Oracle (8i as I recall).

I have blogged about the incident here:

http://bigdaveroberts.wordpress.com/2007/04/12/11/

Although the blog post doesn't concentrate specifically on the relationship between Oracle and IBM!

IBM and Oracle do not generally play well together and this leads to finger pointing!

If Oracle advises against, as a general rule, I'd suggest that you have to go with that advice, irrespective of the fact that Oracle will probably only justify it's position on the basis that IBM won't certify Oracle on AIX in this specific configuration.

I suggest you open a TAR with Oracle seeking clarification!

Ultimately I suspect that it would be fine, but that Oracle would use it as an excuse for giving you an inferior level of support!

Dave