RE: query performance - getting started

From: Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 13:50:15 -0500

The atomic_refresh parameter of dbms_mview.refresh can be used to refresh via truncate. I'm not completely caught up on oracle-l so if this was pointed out already, sorry.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jorgensen, Finn Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 12:48 PM
To: 'Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com'; 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' Subject: RE: query performance - getting started

Last time I looked into MV refreshes (in 10gR2) they did not do truncates. They do a delete of all rows. I assume this is so running queries aren't interrupted by the refresh.

So, if you have the luxury of doing a truncate and then insert (append) or better yet, drop table and CTAS, and the table is large, then that would be faster.

Thanks,
Finn

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 8:51 AM
To: Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Cc: kylelf_at_gmail.com
Subject: RE: query performance - getting started

Query performance continued.

We have a very complicated Materialized view, and a view that utilizes the MV. We cannot use Fast refresh - a complete refresh is necessary. The app can decide when the view is refreshed, and can execute dbms_refresh when necessary.

Essentially all records are truncated, and the view is rebuilt as part of the complete refresh. So, is this just as easy, efficient as any other method such as Temp tables, Truncating a permanent table and re-inserting, or other?

Moving forward,

JP

>>> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, may contain legal,
professional or other privileged information, and are intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, do not use the information in this e-mail in any way, delete this e-mail and notify the sender. CEG-IP2

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.