Re: Dead Connect detect

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 07:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

> 2) I don't want the firewall settings to be exceeded so sending a
> packet just to keep the connection open is not desired. What is is to
> find those that are dead & clean up on the Oracle side.

Richard,

You want to keep long idle legitimate connections to keep alive and dead connections to be disconnected from the server side at a certain time. Correct? DCD is exactly what you need. It's possible some sophisticated firewalls are smart enough to know an Oracle DCD packet has no payload in the data layer and so discard it. The firewall admin should be able to tell if that's the case.

If you find DCD "not working", you can check the packet to make sure it's sent. I have a little detail at
http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/DCD.txt

Yong Huang