Re: VS: Standard Edition RAC - CPU core limit?

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 20:43:29 -0400

yes, that annoying little thing about multi-chip modules really complicates things.

a processor with 16 cores on a single piece of silicon is a single "socket", while a processor with 16 cores built from four pieces of silicon with four cores each is four "sockets", even though it is a single package that plugs into a single pin-grid landing site.

it is critical to remember that "socket" is a legal definition here, not a physical thing. that "pin-grid landing site" is not necessarily a "socket" for the purpose of licensing oracle. it depends entirely on what you put in it.

what processors are implemented as multi-chip modules? that is for you to figure out.

cheers,
-- mark brinsmead

On Monday, April 4, 2011, Timo Raitalaakso <rafu_at_iki.fi> wrote:
> "When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One or Standard Edition in the product name, a processor is counted equivalent to an occupied socket; however, in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket."
>
> https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/f?p=dstore:1001:3298428046187422::::P1001_HELP_ID,P1001_HELP_CATEGORY_ID:3434752069751609024148,3434642144441608865424
>
> --
> Timo Raitalaakso
> http://rafudb.blogspot.com