Re: What is the best way to do this?

From: Michael Moore <michaeljmoore_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 09:03:22 -0700

Lol Stephane,

You are preaching to the choir here!
However, ultimately this is about making my company more profitable. There are probably over a million lines of code (plsql java, hibernate,struts,php,etc etc) that depend on this ... ahem, how shall I say it ... sub-optimal database structure. The cost of making deep architectural changes would be astronomical. Would it be worth it in the long run? But that's the wrong question. The right question is, How would an expensive re-archetecting project affect next quarter's EBIDTA and ultimately our stock price?

My original thinking on asking this question is that maybe there was some feature of Oracle of which I was not aware. For example, maybe there is a hint that allows 210 varchar2(4000) columns to be context-switched directly into an array more quickly. Probably not, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Regards,
Mike