RE: Tablespace shrink, HWM, interval partitionig

From: Quamrul Polash <quapol_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:49:54 +0000

What about using DBMS_REDEFINITION to reorganize the tables online?

Thanks,
Q Polash

From: John.Hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk
To: s.cislaghi_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:54:59 +0100
Subject: RE: Tablespace shrink, HWM, interval partitionig

I sympathise Stefano as I am currently doing similar work. In my case we had a 2.8Tb tablespace that had 56Gb of data in it. Another has 900Gb total and 500Gb free. In both cases the space was not at the end and therefore I could not resize the datafile downwards. I think that HWM on datafiles issue is an area that Oracle have completely overlooked. Another problem I am seeing is that when you do identify which objects are at the end of the datafile and move them within the tablespace they do not necessarily go to the beginning and you can move objects around for no appreciable gain. Another word of caution if using rename tablespace after moving segments into a new tablespace beware ORA-00959 due to a problem I blogged about last week. http://jhdba.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/ora-00959-tablespace-_deleted50-does-not-exist/ -----Original Message----- From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Stefano Cislaghi Sent: 28 March 2011 10:34
To: Oracle L
Subject: Tablespace shrink, HWM, interval partitionig My tablespace is about 30gb. As HWM is at the end of tablespace I'vetried with ALTER TABLE ... MOVE PARTITION ... without success.Ok I know I can export, recreate tablespace and import. Also I canmove the table to another tablespace and move back ... but I'm lookingfor a correct solution to be used ONLINE.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.

If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its attachments in any way.

This email does not constitute a contract in writing for the purposes of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989.

Our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase, as may be amended from time to time, apply to any contract that we enter into. The current version of our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase is available at: http://www.morrisons.co.uk/gscop

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,

and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.