Re: reviews of Oracle SELF-STUDY CD COURSE

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:54:47 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Sven,

> Did anyone use the self-study CD course from Oracle? Is this a valid
> course for exam? (Oracle requires official training for
> certification). Does the training software run on Mac OS X (or Linux)?
> Is this video training recommended (worth the money)?

My company had purchased the 10g New Features TBTs (on CD) before I started.  Since I had worked a little with 10g at my last job, I thought I'd go through them to shore up any gaps in my self-taught education on the new features of 10g.

Long story short, I ended up contacting Oracle because the content had major flaws. There were vague references and at least one lesson had a "fact" that was outright wrong. If I hadn't known that fact already, I would have probably accepted the falsehood.

And the CDs were Win-only. That was for 10g, so the courseware is 6+ years old. Perhaps they've improved since then, but I'm not willing to try again.

GL!

Rich