Re: Tuning unknown applications

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:19:51 -0600

Don't bother learning the application, focus on what the users say is hurting them. Step #1) look for the SQL statements taking tons of elapsed-time or response-time, #2) focus on the worst two or three SQL statements, #3) fix them, #4) implement the fix in production, and #5) repeat all over again starting from step #1.

Best to use SQL tracing on specific programs identified by users as performing poorly. Check out white papers on www.method-r.com on tuning methodology and consider buying the book "Optimizing Oracle Performance" by Millsap and Holt (O'Reilly, 2003).